We all know we want to look and feel our best on our wedding day, and the right makeup artist can significantly alleviate some of our biggest beauty woes. But with all the new technology in makeup products and applications, it can get confusing to know which makeup artist and method is right for you! Your pretty face is in your makeup artist’s hands, not literally, of course — well kinda, so you should feel confident that they know exactly how you want to look.
Here are important to ask your MUA!
1. How do I book you for my wedding date and do you require a deposit? Do you charge a travel fee? The answer to these questions will help you organize your budget and get yet another item checked off your list when planning for your wedding.
2. Will it be you at my wedding or another artist? What happens if you can’t make it? Larger studios may have more than one artist on hand so make sure that the professional you’re seeing at your trial-run will be the one who comes on the day-of. This is the person you’ve discussed the details and developed a report with. It’s important to know ahead of time that they’ll be there for you at your wedding. Also, what will happen in the event of an emergency? Get the facts now so you can rest easy the night before your wedding.
3. How many weddings have you done? Do you normally work with brides? Makeup artists, who work with brides exclusively, will understand your needs better than a makeup artist with another area of expertise.
4. Do you accommodate bridal parties? If your girls are interested in getting their makeup done too, ask whether your makeup artist can provide services to your entire crew and what the extra cost will be. Some artists may give you a package deal.
Now onto beauty:
5. Do you have a portfolio I can look at? The makeup artist’s portfolio will give you a better gauge in knowing whether they can provide the look and feel you want for your wedding day makeup.
6. What makeup products do you use? How do you clean your brushes and tools? If you have sensitive skin or severe acne, this is a MUST-ASK for you! Communicate your skin allergies to your makeup artist so he/she knows in advance what products may or may not work for you.
7. Do you use oil-free products or products with SPF? Don’t forget to protect your skin on your wedding day! Summer brides especially should know whether the makeup used will be melt-proof and protect your skin from the hot sun.
8. Do you sell the cosmetic products you use? Even the longest-wearing lipstick may need a touch-up or two, (especially with all that kissing!) Find out where you can find some of the same items your makeup artist will use ahead of time in order for you to reapply as needed after the ceremony or before the reception.
9. Do you offer air-brushing, false lashes, tattoo coverage or other specialized services? If you’re interested in any of these services, it’s good to research whether makeup artists, who can provide them or not.
10. Do you specialize in a certain look? If your makeup artist loves a wedding day smokey eye but you prefer a more natural look, find a makeup artist that understands your desired look and executes on them.
We hope these questions help you better understand what you should be looking for in a makeup artist for your wedding, Sweet 16, Mitzvah, corporate event or any other event in between! But we also hope you know that have a makeup artist that does EVERYTHING! So if you need makeup just reach out to ME!
Need some inspiration? Take a look here!